• Tweets

• 5.5 A party may apply to the court for an extension of time to serve and file evidence under rule 19.7 or for permission to serve and file additional evidence under rule 19.8(1). (For information about applications see Part 18 and Practice Direction 18A.) 5.6 The parties may, subject to paragraphs 5.7 and 5.8, agree in writing on an extension of time for serving and filing evidence under rule 19.7(3) or rule 19.7(5). 5.7 An agreement extending time for a respondent to file evidence in reply under rule 19.7(3) – (a) must be filed by the respondent at the same time as the acknowledgement of service; and (b) must not extend time by more than 17 days after the respondent files the acknowledgement of service. 5.8 An agreement extending time for an applicant to file evidence in reply under rule 19.7(5) must not extend time to more than 28 days after service of the respondent’s evidence on the applicant. https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/family/practice_directions/pd_part_19a#IDAVDSIC  
    • Voluntary termination and voluntary surrender are both similar in the way that, although you’re handing your car back, you may still be liable for at least some level of payment. You’ll need to have paid that 50% balance amount for termination, and you may have to pay towards your surrender if the car doesn’t make enough at auction. Surrendering a financed car is usually a last resort when payments can’t be made, while termination could be for reasons like needing a larger car or no longer needing a vehicle at all.
    • It’s a joint mortgage but the debts appear not to be, one in my husbands name one in mine. further discovered form K restrictions do not need to be paid on completion or remortgage but we are legally obliged to notify creditors on completion. (Within 14 days) it’s looking like this is factually correct but mortgage provider insists they are paid before remortgage can be completed. im going to plead my case with them this morning, worse case scenario is we have to borrow more money to clear restriction which will be a stretch. its been suggested we make an offer in full and final settlement to creditors. honestly so stressful and seems very weighted against us any suggestions welcome
    • Explore this Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship in Darlington with the High Coniscliffe CE Primary School. Apply by the 12th of July 2024.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Caught using fraudulently applied for 5-11 zip card. been using it for years

Hiya,

could anyone help me with this please.

Yesterday I tapped out and the reader made triple biping sound and I was stopped immediately.

They asked me where did I get this

I said I found it on the train just I was coming now.

I tapped to see if it's a valid card.

They took my address, name and DOB.

Did not show any valid ID. 

Can you tell us what actually happened. Did you find it as you said? Did you have your own ticket?

You need to be completely level with us here if you want any kind of constructive advice

I didn't find it.

I've been using it for a while.

But I said to them I found it on the train.

But when they asked do you have a valid ticket to pay for your travel, I said yes.

Then they didn't say anything.

Or checked my contactless

Where did you get it from? How long have you actually been using it – roughly how many journeys in all, how many journeys per week et cetera.

We will be very helpful if you could simply give us all the information without us having to cross examine you.

You are probably going to have to do this at some point anyway – so you might as well get started now.

We are not here to judge you – but there's no point in trying to hide things from us if you want proper advice.

I've been using it for very long time more than a year.

5-7 journeys a day.

The card actually I didn't find, I made a tfl account and I ordered it for one of my family member.

Since than I've been using it.

When I got caught I told them I found it on the train just now.

I tapped to check if it's valid.

They said why didn't you tapout with your card.

I said I tapped in but I didn't tap out because I would just call the tfl and tell them where I tapped in and where I didn't tap out and they would amend the fare difference .

They took my address, name and dob.

But I did not show any id.

They said I will receive a letter I must reply. 

Another question

Also the child lives in a different address from mine.

But the card was delivered to my address.

Question is...

can they check which address the childs card was delivered to.

If they check and they check my address they will see same address.

5-7 journeys a week I mean....?

Hi.

I assume this is a TfL card with a photo of the child on it? And it was confiscated? It sounds as if you're over age 11, is that right?

TfL will write to you for your version of events and they're often quite quick at doing that. We can help you with a reply if you post up their letter and your draft response.

I'll be amazed if they don't go back through the travel history of the card, addresses and so on. It would be a good idea for you to look back and work out how many journeys you've made with the card and also journeys made by the child, if any. For any chance of an out of court settlement with TfL they're likely to take into account the total number of journeys.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

No paper work is given.

I'm just waiting.

Also the address they will send the paper work to.

I no longer live there.

I'll just wait to pick the letter up.

Im not scared of the fine I will face.

I'm scared that I will be applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)  next year.

Will this affect my application. Etc. 

• I agree 1

We can't advise on immigration matters, I'm afraid, it would be illegal. You need someone who is authorised to give immigration advice.

Yes, you'll have to make arrangements to pick up your post, or you could arrange a redirection with Royal Mail.

A quick word on terminology, sorry for being picky. What you're looking for is an out of court settlement with TfL. A fine is something that happens if they go to court and the judge finds you guilty. It comes with a criminal conviction.

TfL take misuse of cards very seriously and it's not guaranteed that you'll get an OOC settlement, although we'll help as much as we can. It won't be easy as you have used a card you weren't entitled to, hundreds of times by the sound of it. As I say, please work out how many times, for your own records, and start saving up to pay back the fares you evaded.

And you must pay the correct fare from now on. You don't want to come to their attention again.

HB

• I agree 1

I think there are other issues as well.

It is very possible that TfL may make enquiries of the child in his name the card was issued. This would mean involving their parents as well.

TfL may suspect either that you found the card and started using it. Even more seriously, that you stole it from the apparent owner of the card – or they may at some point realise that you obtained it fraudulently by impersonating somebody else.

One thing you're going to have to do is you are going to have to start being scrupulously honest because if TfL start to realise what you have done and they then realise that you are lying about it, you can be certain that things will get much more serious than they already are.

You probably going to find this difficult – but I think you're going to have to go to the parents of the child and talk to them and one them.

If TfL end up contacting the parents and if the parents, who you say are family members, then realise that you are the owner of the card, they will start to realise what you have done and this could cause additional problems for you not only TfL but also with your family as they all start to understand that you have effectively committed in identity fraud.

I think you need to do things on your own terms. You need to show some honesty and I think you need to contact the parents, talk to them tell them what you have done. Tell them how regretful you are – but at least if everything blows up, the parents won't get a nasty surprise and they will realise that you have tried finally to deal with them in a straight dealing and honest way.

This is going to be difficult for you – but things could get much tougher if you carry on with the lie – not only to TfL – but also to the parents of the child who I understand are part of your extended family in some way

In terms your question relating to out-of-court settlements, I'm afraid that if TfL do start to understand the full extent of this they may be very reluctant to write you with any solution which is going to avoid court.

The best thing you can do is to open up and come clean

• dx100uk changed the title to Caught using fraudulently applied for 5-11 zip card. been using it for years

thread title updated.

you are going to be very luck to not be criminally charged here with fraud. that will result in a serious criminal record of Fraud of TfL.

and that will seriously effect your immigration etc etc.

what you have done is at the very top of the list of things they prosecute to the very highest level.

you fraudulently applied for the card.

you have fraudulently used it 5-7 times a week for years.

they will have all the details of when how it was applied for still.

and will very very quickly, even if they have no data outside of their usual few months, realise it's been in operation since application, and was specifically done to fraud them.

you only saving grace and poss mitigation is if you can prove regular use of another method of paying for your journeys covering the last 2 months.

sorry you are in deep do-do here.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can a regular method be pay as you go. Which is a card you buy and just top up. Which I can use from a friend in case they ask.

Please advise. 

Or if they ask how do I commute to work. Can I not say bicycle. 

you lie, you make things 1000 times worse.

sorry to be blunt, but you are coming over as someone that does not appear to have any respect nor any moral adherence for the laws of this country.

you seem to be regarding getting caught as a occupational hazard of your lack of morals and that by some further criminal or immoral activity you might deceptively limit your damage.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'm afraid I agree with dx. If you're a guest in a country, you need to follow the rules.

Can you buy an Oyster card or season ticket [Travelcard] that you're entitled to and use that to show TfL that you're serious about paying the right fare in future? Some employers offer season ticket loans so that their employees can buy longer-term tickets like annual ones.

HB

We realise that you are scared. Everybody is.

But you will be more scared if you also don't tell the truth. At least if you simply come clean, that is one big hurdle that you have overcome. After that just be open and as honest as possible and whatever the consequences are they will be better than if you were caught in a lie – even if they are only slightly better

just to be very clear here,

although it is an extremely serious act you have carried out,

you most certainly do not tell them anything they don't already know.

neither do you even hint at anything they don't.

dx

and they