• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

The sub-postmasters scandal

Thank you for the clip, UB.

I've read some of the Second Sight guys' evidence from the inquiry yesterday and I thought the PO came out of it badly. It's becoming more obvious to me that there was a huge cover up.

Illegitimi non carborundum

From Nick Wallis's Twitter feed yesterday. RW = Ron Warmington, IH = Ian Henderson.

RW it was awful - they were not just failing to understand everything they said, they were part of a cabal conspiring to thwart us. We were talking to the monkeys not the organ-grinder and I feel ashamed that I fell into that trap

There's another comment by IH - I can't find it atm - to the effect that senior PO executives deliberately appeared clueless in order to avoid the truth of what was going on.

32 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

to the effect that senior PO executives deliberately appeared clueless in order to avoid the truth of what was going on.

I often have we seen that ... in every case where so called 'captains of politics and business have been caught out in criminally negligent (at best) cases 

'I don't recognise that' 'I didn't know' 'how could anyone know that'

Which avoidance's MUST sound like feeble lies even to themselves

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

However bad you think things are ..

Could be worse - could be Farage

Sergei Lavrov:  “an ally” 

"echoing Putin's vile justification for the brutal invasion of Ukraine."

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. Nick mentioned on his blog that there was a big story last night, I didn't expect it to be published so soon.

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

In what appears to be a staggering data breach, 'cavalier' workers printed their private details on its website for anyone to see, the Mail can reveal.

Thats positively outrageous - yet sadly won't actually surprise many

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The SRA has announced 20 investigations into lawyers and law firms, including conduct and strategy.

WWW.LAWGAZETTE.CO.UK

In updated statement, regulator says investigation includes conduct of lawyers during and since prosecutions.

about time for some major fines and strikings off

The Tory Legacy

He will be grilled thoroughly, however those above him as culpable.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Some of this seems to hinge on him not being properly instructed by POL or their legal reps. He was said to be an independent expert but doesn't seem to have known that he should reveal all evidence he was aware of and not just the bits that suited Fujitsu/him.

I know he asked for immunity from prosecution, is it still the case that Wyn Williams doesn't want to do this? The last I saw there was still a perjury ivestigation.

• Like 1

Here's the Law Gazette on today's evidence to the inquiry from Gareth Jenkins of Fujitsu.

WWW.LAWGAZETTE.CO.UK

Gareth Jenkins, the Fujitsu engineer whose evidence was crucial to at least a dozen sub-postmaster prosecutions, begins four days of oral evidence to...

difficult to trawl through HB

A lot of it seems to be jenkins claiming he didn't know he was supposed to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth

The Tory Legacy

I agree it's quite dry reading; makes more sense if you saw some of the hearing. I hoping you can access this summary by Nick Wallis.

WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK

Gareth Jenkins pictured near his home in Bracknell this January (copyright Alamy) We know that Gareth Jenkins, Fujtisu’s “unreliable god” (in the...

its quite interesting in a more personal way for me too

I considered a position at ICL in the late 70's and again in the 80s - but decided for elsewhere.

regarding trawling through - I was trying to get to the core of jenkins - not particularly bothered about his 'titles - more about what he said, what he SEEMINGLY knew or should have known to be incorrect.

He, like so many, seem to rely on 'not recalling' or 'didnt consider it his responsibility' despite documented evidence seemingly to the contrary

The Tory Legacy

"Far from being an unbiased, independent expert witness, Jenkins told Beer “I was an employee of Fujitsu and therefore was effectively part of the Post Office prosecution team.”
“Did you think you were part of the Post Office prosecution team?” replied a surprised Beer.
“Yeah, I think I probably did,” considered Jenkins “because that’s how the Post Office lawyers were treating me.”

All even that aside - he should have told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - and it looks more and more that HE didn't - whatever others may have told him to say.

I'm not a lawyer, but there are chunks in there that look like he was repeatedly committing perjury, in his submitted 'expert' statements and what he said.

.. and lead to an opinion that senior legal persons at POL were involved and aware of that

"“Why was it certainly the case that the most likely explanation was misoperation… or fraud?” asked Beer.

“I’m not sure why I would have said that at the time”, replied Jenkins. “Looking back now then I think that’s just one of many different options but I accept that those are the words I used at the time.”

“Why did you use them?” asked Beer.

“I don’t know”, Jenkins replied."

- which at least contributed to falsely incriminating people, destroying their lives and sending some people to jail.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Nick Wallis on today's evidence from Gareth Jenkins. I thought he was awful and there's another two days of this.

WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK

On Tuesday Gareth Jenkins was quite certain he had no idea what the duties of an expert witness were until 2020. Today we discovered he was sent an...

so jenkins repeatedly caught out in his deceptions,

and its confirmed “Unrestricted and un-audited privileged access (system admin) to all systems including Post Office counter PCs”.  and it was known and documented (of course - how could it not be) since at least 2002

Wonder how many people with that access simply created a post office savings account and shunted thousands into it?

- entirely "un-audited"

it would explain why the PO didnt have 100s thousands of pounds of money lying about they couldn't explain

--- oops - of course - they apparently did - in a suspense account that just went into bonus generating profits - and anyone who knew that happened would feel quite safe skimming wodges of money eh?

The Tory Legacy