Robinson Way & Co pestering me for £48.26

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've recently had a letter from a company called 'Robinson Way & Co' asking for £48.26 on behalf of Paypal.

I've no idea what this refers to, although I do have a Paypal account, I have never received any correspondence from Paypal regarding any debt or oustanding balance and to the best of my knowledge do not owe them anything.

I ignored the first letter and 2 phone calls as I assumed this was either an administration error on their behalf or someone trying to [problem] me (the letter doesn't look very professional and the english is terrible!)

Today I've received a threatening letter saying I have 5 days to pay the £48.26 or court action may be taken.

I doubt this will happen because it's such a pathetic amount they're asking for but what should I do about it?

Any help is greatly apprediated.

If it were me, I would probably contact Paypal and query why this amount is owed and ask why no correspondance has been received from them.

Completed:

Woolwich: Received £30

Intelligent Finance: Received £1100 after two years and approximately 20 letters, 6 pieces of hair and an eyeball.

Barclaycard: Received £90

HFC: Received £170

Thanks for your reply.

I've contacted Paypal today but as everything is done online where they are concerned (you can't just talk to someone on the phone) it takes ages to get a reply and speaking from previous experience, sometimes it's like talking to a brick wall.

What I'm wondering is, in the meantime while I'm querying this with Paypal, what do I do about this letter, what's the best way to deal with it? I'm tempted to bin the letter and ignore any further ones but I don't ?want to take any risks.

Hello,

Give Robinson Way a call and ask them to put the account on Hold for say 2 weeks. If you want to be safe it is definately best to speak to them to avoid any further action.

The reason being you are currently liasing with Paypal regarding this debt as you have no idea why it is being collected.

Thanks

Completed:

Woolwich: Received £30

Intelligent Finance: Received £1100 after two years and approximately 20 letters, 6 pieces of hair and an eyeball.

Barclaycard: Received £90

HFC: Received £170

OK, thanks I'll do that and hopefully get to the bottom of it.

I've had similar letters in the past claiming 'you owe us this' always for small amounts that I've no recollection of at all.

When I've ignored them, they've just gone away, so the temptation with this is to do the same.

I've heard this happens alot, debt collectors scare people into paying with threatening letters, if that does't work they just write it off.

OK, thanks I'll do that and hopefully get to the bottom of it.

I've had similar letters in the past claiming 'you owe us this' always for small amounts that I've no recollection of at all.

When I've ignored them, they've just gone away, so the temptation with this is to do the same.

I've heard this happens alot, debt collectors scare people into paying with threatening letters, if that does't work they just write it off.

Surely it would cost them more than the debt is worth to take you to court. Put some pressure on paypal to sort it out...it's highly unlikely this would go any further.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

I would tend to steer clear of calling them. These companies tend to be quite unpleasant to deal with if you're not calling to pay them. You could write to them but they'll probably ignore you. I think I'd just sit tight and wait for Paypal to respond.

Hiya

I fully agree with Seminole, there is no point ringing these companies they aren't interested in anything you have to say unless, its to tell them your debit card number!

Have you considered sending Robinsons a cca request?

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Don't forget to donate to this site, they gave us the backbone to put up a fight, we've learnt how to reclaim our rights and proved banks are all nothing but........ rubbish <wink>

Hiya

I fully agree with Seminole, there is no point ringing these companies they aren't interested in anything you have to say unless, its to tell them your debit card number!

Have you considered sending Robinsons a cca request?

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not sure what a CCA request is, I assume it's a check of some sort to see whether they're legitimate?

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not sure what a CCA request is, I assume it's a check of some sort to see whether they're legitimate?

A CCA (Consumer Credit Agreement) request is a request to see a true copy of the original credit agreement, but I don't think this can work with Paypal because you just tick a box on screen to show you agree with their (jaw dropping) Terms and Conditions.

Robinson Way are also not registered as a Data Controller and so should not use access to personal details.

Tell Paypal this is the case and they are also a party to this breach of the Data Protection Act.

Heres a copy of a cca request, should you decide to use it, basically it gives the companies 12 working days to comply, or they are in default, after another calandar month, the debt is unenforceable until such times as they do comply and even then the company has to apply to the court to insist you pay, obviously they will not be that keen to do that, as they would need to explain why they didn't respond within the lawful time frame........

(their address)

(your address)

I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company. I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a cheque made out for a £1 2. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

3. You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defense to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Don't forget to donate to this site, they gave us the backbone to put up a fight, we've learnt how to reclaim our rights and proved banks are all nothing but........ rubbish <wink>

Heres a copy of a cca request, should you decide to use it, basically it gives the companies 12 working days to comply, or they are in default, after another calandar month, the debt is unenforceable until such times as they do comply and even then the company has to apply to the court to insist you pay, obviously they will not be that keen to do that, as they would need to explain why they didn't respond within the lawful time frame........

There is no credit agreement with Paypal! You agree to their terms and conditions on screen.

There is no credit agreement with Paypal! You agree to their terms and conditions on screen.

point being?!

There are several things that make up a cca request

Nat doesnt know how he/she owes this money

If there is nothing on paper, how do you suggest they plan to take court action???!!!!!!!!!

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

no-one is stating to send the CCA to Paypal but Robinson Way. This should return the agreement with Paypal.

There is an agreement with Paypal which is 'signed' by ticking the box. It is not a credit agreement because they are not supplying you credit, but a service.

As Robinson Way are not registered as Data Controllers, Paypal are a party to this by way of association, i.e. using a company that is using unlawful practices.

• Haha 1