horror 118's have bought all mobile numbers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

believe it is 118118 who have bought the directory numbers for all mobiles registered in the uk, wonder how long it will be before the bottom feeding dca's start bothering us on our mobile phones now they can get access to the database.. another bad day for democracy

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that they do not pass the number on, but rather act as an old-fashioned telephone operator and ask whether you wish to be connected. You can refuse to take any call, and can opt out of the "service" at any time.

Nevertheless I strongly feel that this scheme should be opt-in by default and not opt-out. More here:

Mobile directory made legal threats to get personal details ? The Register

Only if the PAYG is registered i assume?

Loads of them are not.

The whole thing is a farce anyway & whichever authority allowed this needs a slap :mad:

Ha Yeah! Would you believe, it was the ICO who approved it:eek:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I've sent them a section 10 notice under the DPA withdrawing consent for them to use my data.

Let's hope they take more notice of it than the banks do.

Please note that I am not a solicitor or legally trained. The advice I give is from my own personal experience based on my own personal circumstance. If you choose to follow any advice I may give, please make sure you understand the implications of following that advice. :-)

I've sent them a section 10 notice under the DPA withdrawing consent for them to use my data.

Let's hope they take more notice of it than the banks do.

Who did u section 10 your provider or the new phone company?

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

The new phone company, 118 800.

Your mobile provider has the right to process your data under a contract, 118800 don't

Please note that I am not a solicitor or legally trained. The advice I give is from my own personal experience based on my own personal circumstance. If you choose to follow any advice I may give, please make sure you understand the implications of following that advice. :-)

This was covered on 'Working Lunch' on BBC2. The lady fronting her cause for an anonymous mobile phone directory insisted we would all be happy with the service and gave an example of 'not being able to pick your child up from school and being able to call another parent to do so when you don't have their mobile number'.

It's a voice service and relies upon you accepting the call and recognising the voice asking for you. My problem with that is children have mobiles and someone can easily pretend to be someone else if they choose to.

The service has been shot down in flames by the amount of complaints and the, 'you can text or call to have your number removed' didn't wash. Why pay even a penny to have something removed when you didn't ask for it in the first place? So they are launching a free service online to remove your details within the next week but it's difficult to see how that will work if you don't know if they have your number in the first place.

If you provide your name and number to be removed are you just adding to their database? You could call and ask for yourself but that's just creating them more revenue.

They have obtained numbers every which way they can so even if you are PAYG but have given the number out to, say an insurance company they may have it under your name.

Better still, just don't have a mobile. I purposely trashed mine a year or so ago and haven't looked back. I hated the noise of it, my OH checking it and calling me and just the annoyance of having it with me like some electronic tag I'm expected to carry when I didn't even do the crime.

Better still, just don't have a mobile. I purposely trashed mine a year or so ago and haven't looked back. I hated the noise of it, my OH checking it and calling me and just the annoyance of having it with me like some electronic tag I'm expected to carry when I didn't even do the crime.

Lol, know exactly what you mean !

Ive just emailed my mobile phone provider to see if my details have been released without my authority.

The retailers worst nightmare !

Perhaps we should all email our provider to find out if they have done this?

Sounds good, perhaps a national day of contacting the mobile phone providers ! this should clog up there call centres too !

The retailers worst nightmare !

huge thanks elsa

maybe a sticky can be done?

laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

I am on an unregistered pay and go but it didnt stop Lowells calling me persistently on it for weeks together with texts (all unanswered)

I can only assume they got it after I gave the number to my insurance company for a claim I had with them.

I have opted out of this new service but after what I have seen, I wont hold my breath.

I feel a new number coming on that will be given to nobody but family and friends.

Of course I will pay you everything you say I owe with no proof.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

the question has to asked "WHY 4 WEEKS TO REMOVE"

and regardless of how they got the numbers, they have "NOT GOT THE CONSENT" to use them/DATA, they still require express permission to do so,

still waiting for a reply from them, why they will use the DATA without my permission, the point is they will still hold the DATA which they dont have permission to do so, and will not remove it, the EX-D is just a mask / tag on their system

I can see the ICO getting flooded with complaints not just my 2 so far

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

You can text an upper case E to 118800, to remove yourself from the database.

Fortunately, the mobile companies have resisted their advances for personal data. It appears that they are now relying on old databases for their info.

Raises all sorts of DP issues though.

the question has to asked "WHY 4 WEEKS TO REMOVE"

and regardless of how they got the numbers, they have "NOT GOT THE CONSENT" to use them/DATA, they still require express permission to do so,

still waiting for a reply from them, why they will use the DATA without my permission, the point is they will still hold the DATA which they dont have permission to do so, and will not remove it, the EX-D is just a mask / tag on their system

I can see the ICO getting flooded with complaints not just my 2 so far

They may not actually have your data as the mobile companies have refused to give it out. That is I suppose, until you contact them to have it removed?

Just registered my number to be ex-directory - I've had to change it twice because the ex kept pestering me, what a nice nifty way for him to get my new one. This has ticked me off - with a landline provider you are given the option to become ex-directory, not something I have ever been asked by my mobile provider.

Not bothered about DCA's getting my number though..... :D